How to Beat the Doldrums?
Playing the career game at a high level is a strenuous path. It is more like the stock market with its substantial ups and downs than a straight line to success. It’s easy to get “depressed” when we go a long time without productive results and especially without job interviews or closing new deals. Judging by the subjective surveys I take at my workshops it is partly because of inconsistent marketing effort or the methods you are using are not working well.
This is a universal phenomenon and without a doubt you are going to experience it. The question is, “What will you do in order to maintain a positive service-oriented attitude 8 days a week?”
My first suggestion is to recognize that being down is a state of mind that you can change very quickly. Consider the values that are really important to you such as prosperity, joy, and faith. Everyone is going through these challenges and to raise your spirits focus on how you can feel and experience these important values in your life right now! Give your favorite values some time and consideration in the morning while your head is still lying on the pillow. This way you get up already centered with a positive attitude.
Next celebrate your success! Too often we are quick to judge harshly when things don’t go right. We spend too much time cogitating about what we did wrong and most of us are talented at getting ourselves really upset. Spend more time celebrating your success and balance the scales between destructive and constructive thoughts.
Another method is to take the initiative and bring good things into your life. I talk a lot about taking action by reaching out to target companies and people who you can be strategic allies with and help to build one others career. When you take action in an organized and effective manner and do it routinely you’ll feel better. When your mind knows you are taking reasonable action it helps salve the anxiety. Make a list of actions for the week that you believe will get you beneficial results. Today is a new beginning.
The philosopher Goethe said, “Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them to become what they are capable of being.” Try that philosophy on yourself. Make it routine to show compassion for yourself and also verbally give yourself forgiveness for your past mistakes. You’ve made them; it’s water under the bridge; and now you are carefully designing your career plan. Your prospects are bound to improve.
Remember who you are really. What is the most important quality of a successful salesperson? Yes, it is confidence. I talk about it frequently. Work on building your confidence. Once upon a time I attended a self-improvement workshop. I was asked along with a teammate to climb a 25’ telephone pole. It was perfectly safe since we wore a safety harness and yet my mind was telling me, “What on earth are you doing up here?” It was my 2nd time up-the-pole so I was feeling pretty safe. My teammate was panicking and we took a time out. I asked her to close her eyes and focus on a moment of confidence and serenity. After 30 seconds she reopened her eyes and was able to continue and finish the activity.
Remember your successes because experiencing each day with a confident and enthusiastic attitude makes for better decisions and more dynamic actions. Marketing and sales require that the world get to know the real you. Discover what thoughts and actions will generate that confident attitude and focus on doing them habitually.
Remember that each day you have a choice to be angry or feel like a victim. You also have a choice to take full responsibility and to reach out and touch someone. When I was in the menswear business there was a sign at the receptionist’s window. It said, “Nothing happens until somebody sells something!” How good do you feel when you make that sale? It’s remarkable! There’s nothing like it to pick up your spirits so work on the sales process and celebrate success each step in the way. Someone once told me that on average it takes six attempts before the prospect says, “Yes.” That means persistence is a crucial quality to cultivate. Never say die.
“What you focus on expands!” so focus on solutions. Yes you have problems; they seem insurmountable sometimes; you don’t know how it’s going to turn out. Start working on creating solutions. Immediately make a list of things you can do to move forward. Think about what’s holding you back and work on reducing the obstacles to success. With consistent effective action good things will happen.
• Join a mastermind group
• Participate in an organization
• Join a professional association in your area of expertise and volunteer
• Take an education course to enhance your knowledge and resume
• Make strategic alliances with people you can help and who can help you
• Recognize what’s holding you back and do something about it
By Neil Cooper www.CareerCoachNJ.com Return home
Brought to you by:
Certified Coach & Mentor
Career Transition and Leadership
Graduate of iPEC Coaching in Shrewsbury NJ
Everyone is a leader—either by choice or by default.
Whenever you interact with anyone else (and yourself) you are leading.
So the question is not “Will you lead?” but rather “How well will you lead?”
(c) 2012 – 2014
- Thriving in a Complex World
- As the business landscape becomes increasingly more complex companies have a powerful need for talented people to navigate current programs and problems as well as create and innovate the future.
- VIP Intensive Coaching
- The VIP Program provides you with the wisdom on how to set up and implement your job search. You will learn best practices and a success system to achieve the results you are looking for.
- Reinvest in Me - Making a Difference
- Our mission is to empower people who want to align their careers with their personal values and make a genuine difference through work
- Group Coaching Registration Page
- The quality of your career search is in direct proportion to the choices you make now. When you opt to carefully plan and then make a conscious choice to act on your plan you will find your dream job.
- Webinar Registration Page 2
- Sales page 2 for May Job Search Success Accelerator webinar
- Visionary 1-on-1 Career Coaching and Mentoring
- Make a quantum leap in the results from the existing job search with a 1-on-1 coaching partnership. Establish a success strategy for your future. Nothing is more potent than personal training.
- FREE STRATEGY COACHING MENTORING SESSION
- Accelerate your career search and land a job. Receive expert coaching, guidance, and feedback from a successful career coach. Discuss career goals; Analyze your search and where you want it to be.
- Book Neil As Your Next Speaker
- Speaking Engagements Page
- The Benefits of a Written Plan
- How many of you have taken the time to put together a written plan for your business and job search, and then analyzed the most effective ways to implement it?
- Prioritize Your Time and Get Great Results
- What kind of challenges are you having putting together all the monthly, weekly, and daily activities required to accelerate your job search.
- Landing a Job Is Not That Important
- I have noticed a significant trend among my clients. There is a huge difference between the ones who are genuinely dedicated to landing a job and those who are merely interested in it.
- How to Reach Out to People When You Fear Rejection?
- During the career search we will have to make calls that can feel overwhelming. We know how important it is to connect with strangers to build strategic alliances,
- How to Recover From the Networking Blues
- Networking is an essential ingredient to a successful job search and keeping a business consistently filled with new prospects and clients.
- Leadership and Career Assessment
- The Assessment is attitudinal and based on an energy/action model. It differs from personality assessments as it is not intended to label a person and have them work well within that label.
- Ace Your Next Interview
- At the beginning of my workshops I introduce myself to the audience and endeavor to build rapport in the first minutes of the presentation.
- Time Management is a Huge Problem
- Time management is the huge problem even in a structured work environment, and the job search is not a structured environment unless you make it so.
- How Does Your Website Portfolio Fit into the Marketing Plan?
- A website portfolio can be an invaluable tool in creating a marketing presence. It becomes a valuable asset as you get further into the process.
- I deeply appreciate the testimonials provided by actual clients.
- Contact Form
- contact form
- Strategies to Build Your Network
- Networking is the key to finding a new job. Networking has always been a fact of life in business and today it is the single most effective way to find your new career.
- How Does Your Website Portfolio Fit into the Marketing Plan?
- A website portfolio can be an invaluable tool in creating a marketing presence. As you begin the job search and start a business, it is not one of the first steps to take.
- How Am I Doing With My Job Search
- Ed Koch, ex-Mayor of NYC, would famously shout out to the world, “How I am doing?” It’s a great question and one all job seekers should be routinely asking themselves.
- Events Page
- The latest live and virtual events on the Career Coach NJ Calendar.
- Climbing Higher in Your Career
- Welcome to a new work week. How will you set yourself up for enjoyment and success? Organize a calendar and plan your activities to fulfill your career and personal objectives.
- How to Beat the Job Search Doldrums?
- Playing the career game at a high level is a strenuous path. It is more like the stock market with its substantial ups and downs than a straight line to success. It’s easy to get “depressed”
- Questions that Encourage Engagement and Organization in the Job Search
- As a coach I ask a lot of questions. I also listen very carefully to hear what a client really means by engaging all my senses and reading in between the lines.
- Mastermind Groups
- Are you seeking support in your job search or business development? Bruce Schneider, founder of iPEC Coaching school states, “Develop a support system. You don’t succeed in life alone.”
- Bold Steps to Outstanding Leadership
- People currently occupied in any aspect of building a career face tests that can seem overwhelming. Leadership skills make a decisive difference to your successful performance;
- First Steps to Create a Great Marketing Profile
- A high profile marketing presence is a key to an exceptional career search. It is a vital part of the marketing plan because it builds the chemistry known as the “know, like, and trust” factor
- Education is not a luxury; It is a necessity!
- A recommendation for job seekers is about continuing education. Employers are seeking educated and skilled executives and managers with high level of expertise and know how to apply it on the job.
- A Personal Brand Will Help You Thrive
- It is important to have a marketing profile that clearly tells the story about you, your career, and your aspirations. It takes some time to develop and yet it is well worth it.
- You are Unique? How will you show it?
- You are unique! How will you show it? Personal branding is a key ingredient to a successful job search. You cannot keep your knowledge, skills, and talents a secret and find a job.
- The First Step You Must Take to Find a Great Career
- To effectively perform your job search at a high level it is essential to clearly define your career objectives. Without identifying your objectives it will substantially prevent finding a position
- How Do Other People Make You a Success?
- Today let’s talk about the importance of bringing positive influences into your life, and specifically let’s talk about who you associate with.
- Opportunity Doesn’t Knock Until You Invite It To
- People want more employer responses, more interviews, more informal introductions, and more intelligence about how to make great contacts to create the opportunity they deserve.
- The Number 1 Most Important Career Skill Is
- The number 1 most important career expertise is dynamic communication skills. Whether you are talking 1-to-1 with your boss, engaged in a group meeting with peers,
- The Most Important Communication Skill is
- At school we’re not taught very much about listening. Most of the time is focused on writing and other forms of communication, and yet we spend much more time listening than we do writing etc.
- Silence is Golden
- The practice of listening is basically being silent and still simultaneously. When listening intuitively you are not thinking about anything;
- Making a Difference With Your Career
- How to make a difference with your career? We are responsible for our accomplishments. Fully commit to finding your unique mission you raise the chances of experiencing dramatic success
- Influencing Others
- In all areas of life bringing a positive energy and a highly engaged spirit is inspirational and motivational.
- Your Leadership Mindset is Paramount to Success
- Success in the business world requires genuine dedication. Especially in today’s economic environment being an effective leader is not a job for the faint hearted.
- The Most Important Leadership Quality
- The most important leadership quality is fearlessness. It is embracing our inner strength, confidence, and tranquility.
- Success with Your LinkedIn Profile
- LinkedIn continues to be an extremely important career tool. It is a great way to demonstrate your leadership skills and how well you have developed as an executive.
- Fear and Mindfulness in Your Career
- Everyone is a leader - either by choice or by default. Whenever you interact with anyone else (and yourself) you are leading.
- Social Media and Building Your Movement
- Social media is a multi-faceted and integral part of business whether you are building a business or enhancing a career.
- On Being an Influential Leader
- A leader’s influence has everything to do with their way of being. In order to establish strong personal relationships and team collaborations it requires advanced management knowledge and skills.
- Health Wellness and Leadership
- I enjoy practicing many aspects of health and wellness in my daily life. The idea of sports, exercise, and good nutrition is almost as near and dear to me as breathing.
- Networking Makes All the Difference
- Networking makes all the difference in finding a job, achieving powerful results on the job, and in improving our personal lives.
- Personal Branding and the Pain of Childbirth
- In the summer of 2012 I begin to develop my personal brand in a manner that would establish credibility with my target audience.
- The Essence of Networking
- Focus on removing the obstacles to success. One of those important obstacles may be the lack of a clear understanding and appreciation of what networking is;
- A Good Example of Bad Leadership
- Rarely do we get to see a public exhibition of bad leadership such as we recently witnessed in the U.S. Congress.
- High Unemployment High Vacancies Are You In-demand
- There is a growing group of executives and managers who are chronically churning from job-to-job often as contractors or part-time employees. It is a painful way to live economically and emotionally
- Damn New Year’s Resolutions: Achieve Freedom in 2014!
- It’s the New Year and we’re setting goals, making affirmations, offering promises, and committing to new actions.
- The Most Important Action You'll Do Today
- I encourage people to play the career game at the highest level that they are capable of at the moment. I implore them to follow, “Neil’s No Procrastination Rule.” “If it’s a priority do it now.”